Thinking pink on the Algarve


Nigella bless your little pink cotton socks, twinset and pearls. You uppity minx, you had me stirring till I was as red as the pomegranate that I had just juiced. My right arm nearly dislocated itself but and a huge but....... this recipe is so simple, so gorgeous, and so ungodlessly DEELICIOUS that I totally forgive you and I simply couldn’t keep from sharing it not only with Portugal but a wider audience. I have no plans to purchase an ice-cream maker. What’s the point if you dust it off once every few years out of guilt? Nah, for this recipe all you need is a little elbow grease as I soon found out. - Agitating a thick liquid with "shall we call it an implement"...


250ml. fresh pomegranate juice (2 pomegranates depending on size Nigella?!)
Juice of 1 lime
175g icing sugar
500ml. whipping or double cream

Serves: 8
  1. Juice the pomegranates and the lime and strain the juices into a bowl.
  2. Add the icing sugar and whisk to dissolve.
  3. Whisk in the double cream and keep whisking until soft peaks form in the pale pink cream.
  4. Spoon and smooth the ice cream into the airtight container of your choice and freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
  5. Scatter with some pomegranate seeds before you eat it.
What Nigella said about her own recipe....
It's not hard to think of a pudding that can be made in advance. But mostly the advantage is simply that all the effort is upfront and early. The thing about this recipe is that you do it in advance - it's ice cream, so that stands to reason - but what you do in advance is negligible in terms of effort. You don't make a custard, and you don't have to keep whipping it out of the deep freeze to beat the crystals. No, you simply squeeze and stir.
On top of that cause for greater contentment, there is also the fact that this delicate pink ice cream tastes like fragrant, sherbety heaven.

and what Nigella forgot to say...
....And pink matches the colour of my website, my range of kitchen stickers and the Nigella mousemat, not forgetting my angora cardigan.

"Now, I wouldn't presume to tell a woman,
what a woman oughtta think,
But tell her if she's gotta think: think pink—!

Comments

Popular Posts